This course is available in home study format. (In-class and online options - TBA)
The course will provide new utility employees, and those presently employed as operators, with a comprehensive operational aid for Class I Wastewater Collection municipal systems. It will focus on operator competencies required to write the Level I Wastewater Collection Certification Exam and includes content and questions that operators may find on the provincial exam.
NOTE: To qualify for provincial certification, students must complete a Mandatory Entry Level Training Course (ELT). Students are encouraged to take the Entry Level Training Course (ELT) provided by AWWOA. ELT is a provincial mandated training course needed to obtaining certification. ELT can be completed in-class, online or via homestudy.
For additional certification information, please contact Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-427-7713 or 780-643-1992 or email: WaterandWastewaterOperatorCert@gov.ab.ca
Course Completion Exam:
At the end of the course (in any format) a completion exam will be given. It consists of 50 questions. An overall minimum of 70% is needed to achieve a passing grade. If unsuccessful, one rewrite will be allowed.
Online, Home Study,
• Introduction to operator certification - requirements and responsibilities
• Safety - construction, reservoir/pump station, electrical, infections & diseases, hazardous gases, chemical handling and confined space
• Basic Technical Skills - basic mathematical calculations and functions (decimals, fractions, percentage), ratio & proportion, squares and cubes, areas/surfaces/volumes, units of measure and basic hydraulics and electricity
• Support Systems - Electricial circuits, devices and motors, pumps, drives, compressors, lubrication, valves and control/instrumentation
• Administration - planning and organization, maintenance, plans, records, personnell, public relations and financial management
• Wastewater Collection - introduction, sanitary sewermains, operation and maintenance, wastewater lift stations, wastewater forcemains
Home study: Materials will be mailed upon registration. Confirmation of this will be emailed.
$460.00 Must have current AWWOA Membership
$345.00 (For in-class courses only) Must have a current AWWOA Membership and be an operator of a small public rural water/wastewater facility.