The following in-class course has been postponed. Online and home study options are still available. More information will be sent as it becomes available. For any inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is available in three formats: online, in-class (2 days) or home study.
The course satisfies the Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) minimum training requirement for operators becoming certified for the first time. This training covers basic aspects of the industry - it has not been specifically developed to prepare an operator to write a certification exam. (Check the training listing for certification prep courses i.e. Level I Certification Prep).
NOTE: Applicants who wish to write the certification exam must qualify and MUST apply to Alberta Environment prior to the deadline for their preferred paper exam or during the application window for online exams. To qualify, successful completion of this course must be achieved by the certification exam application (paper or online) and the course completion certificate must be uploaded with the application. Applicants will also need one year of recognized experience to qualify for the certification exam.
For additional certification information, please contact Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-427-7713 or 780-643-1992 or email: WaterandWastewaterOperatorCert@gov.ab.ca
Dates & Locations
- Session #4
- Apr 14, 2020 8:00am - Apr 15, 2020 4:00pm
- Black Knight Inn - 2929 50th Ave - Red Deer
Course Completion Exam:
At the end of the course a completion exam will be given. It consists of 50 questions and an overall minimum of 70% is needed to achieve a passing grade. If unsuccessful, one rewrite will be allowed.
Online, Home Study, In Class
• Legislation: Role of the operator, implications of non-compliance, applicable laws, and certification requirements
• Communication & Math skills: Standard operating procedures, calculations, conversions, daily records
• Water Treatment: Equipment maintenance, drinking water processes / production, contamination risks
• Wastewater Treatment: Principles, stabilization ponds, mechanical plants, equipment maintenance
• Safety & Security: Emergency planning, hazards, safety procedures, protective equipment
• Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection: Systems, components, maintenance, blueprint reading
Inclass: No manuals will be forwarded to students in advance of this course – the instructor will provide all material on-site including a course completion exam.
Home study: Materials will be mailed upon registration. Confirmation of this will be emailed.
Online: Course materials are available immediately upon registration through AWWOA online profile. Further instructions and information about the course are emailed after registration.
$460.00 Must have current AWWOA Membership
$345.00 (For in-class courses only) Must have a current AWWOA Membership and be an operator of a small public rural water/wastewater facility.