This course is available in three formats: online, in-class (2 days) or home study.
The course satisfies the Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) minimum training requirement for operators becoming certified for the first time. This training covers basic aspects of the industry - it has not been specifically developed to prepare an operator to write a certification exam. (Check the training listing for certification prep courses i.e. Level I Certification Prep).
NOTE: Applicants who wish to write the certification exam must qualify and MUST apply to Alberta Environment prior to the deadline for their preferred exam date. To qualify, successful completion of this course must be achieved by the certification exam application deadline date and the course completion certificate must be attached to the application.
For additional certification information, please contact Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-427-7713 or 780-643-1992 or email: WaterandWastewaterOperatorCert@gov.ab.ca
Dates & Locations
- Session #7
- Apr 5, 2018 8:00am - Apr 6, 2018 4:00pm
- City of Calgary - Manchester Centre - Building E, North Tower, 2808 Spiller Road SE - Calgary
- Session #6
- Apr 16, 2018 8:00am - Apr 17, 2018 4:00pm
- Black Knight Inn - 2929 - 50 Avenue - Red Deer
Online, Home Study, In Class
• Legislation: Role of the operator, implications of non-compliance, applicable laws, and certification requirements
• Communication & Math skills: Standard operating procedures, calculations, conversions, daily records
• Water Treatment: Equipment maintenance, drinking water processes / production, contamination risks
• Wastewater Treatment: Principles, stabilization ponds, mechanical plants, equipment maintenance
• Safety & Security: Emergency planning, hazards, safety procedures, protective equipment
• Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection: Systems, components, maintenance, blueprint reading
The course completion exam consists of 50 questions, 10 Alberta Environment mandatory questions and 40 general questions. A minimum grade of 50% is required in the mandatory section (first 10 questions) and an overall minimum of 70% is needed to achieve a passing grade. If unsuccessful, one rewrite will be allowed.
$460.00 Must have current AWWOA Membership
$345.00 Must have a current AWWOA Membership and be an operator of a small public rural water/wastewater facility.